When you find yourself in the position of being a caregiver, who is there to help take care of you?
Kathi Koll sets out to answer this question in a great article that walks through how you can build a caregiver support system.
- Create a team: Who are the people that will help pick up some of the work, from running errands to managing bills?
- Share the situation: It will help people think of ways to help, beyond what you’ve explicitly asked for.
- Find a way to get support even when it’s difficult to ask: It can be hard to ask for help! But it’s even harder to try to do it all yourself.
- Accept help: Beyond the relief it can provide for you, it can also make them feel like they are contributing.
- Be creative: There are caregiving agencies and other community services you can turn to if you aren’t having luck finding help from family and friends.
Read the entire article for the full list of steps to take to get the support you need as a caregiver.